Monday, May 4, 2015

No Adverbs? Showing Is Always Better Than Telling? Really? 

 Too often I've heard the adverb made light of, and that's being charitable. Is the adverb disdained among literary circles? I want to answer, "Please, don't take my adverbs away." I have no problem with using well chosen adverbs. I think well chosen is the key here. 
 Use adverbs in moderation, to help your story along. They do have a purpose. I try to not overuse them. Adverbs are used  to modify, or describe. As such, I feel, they can be effective. They can also be overused. I try not to do this. 

I will talk about adverbs ending in -ly Some don't. He ran quickly. Quickly describes how he ran. The girl spoke softly. Softly describes how she spoke. A bit of description like this adds character. Too much, and your writing can sound choppy, or worse. If you know how, and when, to use them, they can make your writing clearer . How do you know when you can, or shouldn't, use them? You might try this. Read what you've written, and do so critically. If you decide it's written well, and it makes sense to you, this should provide you the answer. In any case, keep writing. And, don't disdain those adverbs. 


Now, for a bit about showing vs. telling. Using either, I think, can be appropriate, depending on the situation. Maybe your story is heavy on dialogue. Perhaps you favor a narrative style. Each has its own value. I have a taste for first-person narrative. It  suits me. Sometimes, your writing can benefit more by telling than by showing. Your writing can be overly showy. It can brand you as an  incompetent writer, and this you want to stay away from. 


No comments:

Post a Comment